I'm a columnist for Maclean's Magazine and I occasionally write for a few other publications, too. I also provide political commentary on television, radio, and in print. Below, I've linked to some of my writing and media commentary. If you're looking for commentary or think there's something that I may be able to write for your publication, please send me a message through one of the links on my Contact page.
In 2014, my research was featured on CBC Radio's Ideas. It was rebroadcast in 2016. Of all the public work I've done, I'm particularly proud of this. I grew up listening to the program (I was a very cool kid), so it meant a lot to me to be a part of that. You can listen to it here.
- Rewriting history? That’s how history is written in the first place. Maclean's. August 25, 2017.
- Democracy can’t be taken for granted. Charlottesville proves that. Maclean's. August 14, 2017.
- Canada is a great democracy. But you need to understand it. Maclean's. April 26, 2017.
- Donald Trump imagines America is under siege. Maclean's. February 2, 2017.
- Donald Trump invites authoritarianism to America. Maclean's. January 27, 2017.
- How we should debate electoral reform. Policy Options. April 15, 2016.
- An electoral system for all: Why Canada should adopt proportional representation. The Broadbent Institute. Spring 2016.
- Do Canadians have opinions? Maclean's. October 1, 2015.
- What does politics look like to a partisan? Maclean's. September 24, 2015.
- Why good politicians do bad things. National Post. August 19, 2015.
- Why you should care about politics and economics. Hippo Reads. Summer 2015.
Selected Media Commentary and Coverage
- Canadian Conservatives face their alt-right problem. The Tyee. August 25, 2017.
- B.C. student groups seek to raise turnout for provincial election. The Globe and Mail. April 18, 2017.
- Trudeau's dilemma: How to stick it to Trump without getting on U.S. president's 'hit list'. National Post. January 31, 2017.
- Canada's Donald Trump? 'Shark Tank' star Kevin O'Leary runs for Tory leadership. CNN. January 19, 2017.
- Young voter turnout made dramatic gains last October. The Toronto Star. June 15, 2016.
- Senate attendance now available online. Yahoo News. December 2, 2016.
- Social media changed how -- and when -- the West got early election results. The Globe and Mail. October 20, 2015.